North Carolina like other states in the country maintains a sex offender registry. If a court convicts you of a sexual crime, part of your sentence is probably going to include registering. This means you have to submit your personal information, including your address, and get your picture taken for the sex offender registry. This registry is available to the public and alerts people to where you live and what your conviction was for. Obviously, you probably want to get off the registry as soon as possible as it can have negative impacts on your life. The law does allow for you to petition the court to get off the registry.

According to the North Carolina General Assembly, you may petition the court for removal from the sexual offender registry tens years after you first register. In addition, you may only petition the court if you have not had any further convictions in those ten years. You need to file your petition in the same court where you were convicted. If you were in another state when convicted, you can petition the court in the district in which you live.

Also note, that the requirement to register is for 30 years. So, you do not have to petition if you want to wait out the 30 years. At the end of the 30 years, you are removed from the registry if you have not had any further convictions that require registering. This information is for education and is not legal advice.